1.18.2011

Home made bread II.

DSC00246
I got this recipe from my friend Iveta from Vancouver and I have to say it is the simplest and best European style of bread I got and tested.
Iveta’s recipe is based on Jim Laheye book “My Bread” and this bread taste evokes my memories of Brno – my favourite one was made in a bakery in Zabrdovice (Brno city borough) since 1922.
I would like to present you today my modified variation of this recipe and would be pleased – as usual - to hear your experience and comments.

Ingredients:

4.5 cup All Purpose flour
1.5 cup Light Rye flour
2.5 tsp salt 
1 tsp dry bakers yeast
2 2/3 cups of lukewarm water
1/2 tsp caraway seeds

Directions:

1. Dissolve yeast in water and let rise for a while.
2. Mix all ingredients in a bigger bowl or in a KitchenAid.
DSC00229 DSC00173
3. Place dough into a big pot (approx. 7-10l) and cover. Place pot into the oven and turn the light on. Let rise for 12-24 hours (depends on your daily schedule).
DSC00165
4. Prepare deeper frying pan, bowl or wicker scuttle. Personally I’m using a special dish for baking fish – the loaf seems like to have a great “microclimate” and shape as well. Place the dough into the form, pot or scuttle and cover with cloth. Let rise for another 1.5-3 hours again in a oven with light turned on.
DSC00291
5. Heat oven approx. 30 minutes before baking for 250°C/490-500°F. If you are using cast-iron pot – pre-heat this one as well and then place the loaf on a parchment paper. Cover the pot and turn the temperature back to 200°C/425°F and bake for 30minutes, then uncover and bake for another 30 minutes.
DSC00292
6. Take out of the oven and smear with salt-water. Let cool down.

No comments:

Post a Comment